Saturday, October 1, 2016

An odd bit of computing.

On my Ubuntu desktop machine I had finally gotten over the fact that every time a semi-large update comes across I have to type:

Make 
sudo make install 
sudo modprobe 8812au

to reinstall my wifi driver, because I picked a Wifi device that isn't well supported. 
 
If the update is _really_ big, I have to type:

dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

to clean up the OS because the /boot partition is just that - a partition with limited space. 
 
If it really bothered me, I could just save all my documents and wipe the drive and reinstall the 16.04.1 LTR from scratch, and I don't think the boot sector nonsense would be as much of a problem, but then the OS wouldn't ever properly clean up after itself and would slowly grow larger over time unchecked.

What really fries my bacon is that the Espon printer driver quietly failed while I'm busy doing the other stuff. So, I will have to hijack one of my kids' Windows 7 machines to print something. And, no I didn't make them upgrade to Windows 10 even though it was free.

(I suspect that a portion of my readers aren't laughing or amused because printing stuff is like, so ten years ago.)

No comments: